Hi there! My name is Jameson. I am the official new face of Miss Math Dork and all it’s entities.
You may recognize me from Instagram as Lessons With Coffee. I am Also the one that did the SLANTboxes for a while (I may bring those back. They are stressful).
Super long story short. Jamie and I have known each other for about 10 years. When she decided to move on to other things she thought of no one but me to take over the reigns. I have collaborated with Jamie for many years, and have used her/our/my products MANY times in my classroom. I hope that I will not disappoint.
In honor of my take over I would like to share with you 10 things you may not know about me to get to know me! Please let me know if you have any questions!
- My real first name is Jameson. I was named after my grandfather, and father. I am an only child so the name was destined to be mine regardless of sex at birth.
- I am married to a great guy named Jacob. He will be around trying to help me get MMD back to its glory. He is in Architectural sales and super funny. WAY more funny than I can ever be.
- We have a son. His name is Theodore and he was born on Friday the 13th of January 2017. He is amazing, smart, artistic and definitely got my husbands character traits!
- this is my 12th year in a classroom. I started teaching in Namibia, Africa in a school called Catholic Aids Charity. I worked with 8 year olds and 12 year olds (ironically my two favorite grade levels to teach are second and 6th.) teaching reading and math. My first year in the United States was teaching 4th grade, I then moved to 2nd grade then to 6th in an elementary school. From there our district moved 6th grade to the middle school. Since then I have taught all levels of 6-9th grade mathematics in Minnesota (I did do a year of a 4/5 contained classroom in 2016/17). I am now teaching 7th grade for the second year in a row. I teach 7th grade Pre-Algebra (my states “on target 7th grade course) and Intermediate Algebra (9th grade math) to 7th graders. I teach 5 preps a day, and have 46 minute classes in an urban setting.
- I have celiac disease and am anaphylactic to eggs. I have never had a proper donut, birthday cake or pancake. My mother used to make me rice crispy treats and frost them like a cake for me when I was small.
- I grew up in Spring Hill, Tennessee. We moved to Minnesota when I was in high school. Sometimes when I talk (or have to many adult beverages) my accent comes out. Siri has a hard time understanding me.
- I live in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I hate the cold, and hate snow. I do however LOVE LOVE LOVE our summers. You will often find me at one of our many lakes, one of our families cabins, the zoo, or just being outside.
- I am terrified of horses. Like to the point where I cry at parades when they are by me. My son loves them. I best learn to love horses. Last summer at the Minnesota State Fair I did make it into the horse barn and watch a horse barrel race thing, from the top of the bleachers.
- I am 5’11” I hate shopping for clothes. Particularly pants. I am tall, but SUCK at basketball. When I was small my friends told me that coffee would stunt your growth. They lied.
- Mathematics is not my strongest subject. I think it makes me a better teacher of it though. Every year I have students challenge my understanding of numbers, and algebraic thinking. I am grateful to work with the students both low in ability and twice exceptional. I love them all and learn new things every day.
I hope you enjoyed learning more about me. Please leave me a comment or send me an email! I hope to see you on Instagram soon! I will not be moving instagrams…I will be staying LessonsWithCoffee on that platform but reliable MMD for all others.
Cheers (new) friends!