My husband and I purchased our house three years ago. We painted the downstairs pretty quickly, but decided to live in the house a bit to decide how we wanted it to look. I LOVE color…. my husband prefers white walls – dilemma! hehe. So, last spring, after letting the house talk to me a little too long, I decided to take on the Master Bathroom. We had recently painted the Master Bedroom a lovely shade of grey. We decided to go with a light grey (Valspar Hazy Stratus 4004-1C) and buttercup yellow color. Because the Master Bath is right off the bedroom, we wanted the colors to coordinate but not be matchy-matchy. We ended up going the next shade down on the color chart (Valspar Mark Twain House Ombre Grey 4004-2A) a darker charcoal-y grey.
Here are some before pictures – everything is contractor grade.
The plan was to do the entire bathroom for less than $175 and over Spring Break. So off to Lowe’s we went.
One gallon of Valspar Signature paint ran us about $30. I also wanted to color match the awesome window fabric I had found ($50). I asked for a pint ($9). Unfortunately they were out of pints of the correct base color, so I was given a gallon of paint for the price of a pint SCORE!
Total so far: $89
|Awesome window fabric! That I bought in a fabric store on clearance for $5 a yard!
Originally about $20 a yard! SUPER deal!
So we came home, turned on Pandora and started painting. We had paint rollers and painters tape, so we didn’t need to spend any money there. Since the room had never been painted, we needed to use 2 coats of paint. This used about 2/3 of the gallon. As you can see in the picture, we have “toilet room” in the bathroom that has it’s own door. Originally, I was going to paint it the same grey, but since I had a gallon of the amazing fabric colored paint, I decided to paint the smaller room the bright color! Hubs thought I was crazy…. he still isn’t a huge fan of it, but I LOVE it!
And the final project was to make the curtains. My windows are 4 foot wide and 4 foot tall. I only wanted the curtains to cover the bottom 3 feet. So they needed to be 36 inches tall, plus a 3 inch hem allowance for the bottom and 2 inch pocket on the top. 41 inches tall of fabric, and I went with 2 panels wide of the fabric width to scrunch the curtains a bit and make them look fuller. I didn’t worry to add seem allowance on the sides as taking a half of inch of wasn’t really going to change the width enough to be noticeable. Also because the pattern was so large and had an 8 inch repeat, (not to mention the ruffles) I didn’t need to worry about trying to line up the pattern to match.
After making 4 panels, I was ready to hang the curtains up in the bathroom….